At Storytel we believe that powerful stories add an extra dimension to life.
Storytel is one of the world’s leading audiobook and ebook streaming services and we offer unlimited listening to consumers in 25+ markets.
Our vision is to make the world a more empathetic place with great stories to be shared and enjoyed by anyone, anywhere, anytime.
About the Team
The Data Engineering team is responsible for delivering data and insights to the entire Storytel organization. We drive the full data lifecycle, from ingestion to delivery, and help ensure that the rest of the business has the data, tools and engineering collaboration needed to help them make informed data-driven decisions. As a team, we provide cross-functional competencies in data engineering as well as analytics engineering to the rest of Storytel.
Some of the tech stack and tools we work with are dbt (SQL), Looker, BigQuery, Python, Airflow, Terraform, CI/CD, GCP, Dataflow and other products included within the Google Cloud Platform.
Moreover, we like to keep our skills up to date by frequently engaging in hackathons and lab days.
About the Role
As a Senior Data Engineer, you will have the opportunity to work in a dynamic environment with plenty of opportunities to experiment with new technologies and solutions. Our team is highly collaborative and works closely with both the engineering organization and the business. We are agile in our approach to technology and always seek to improve and innovate within our platform and ways of working.
What you will do
- Build a large-scale, highly performant self-service data platform using cutting-edge technologies
- Minimize technical debt by continuously revisiting and finding improvements to existing implementations
- Maintain and rethink existing datasets and data pipelines to optimize performance and accessibility
- Drive internal tooling and process development to continuously increase data quality and constantly improve the engineering experience of our users
- Implement effective data governance across the business
- Collaborate with other engineers, data analysts, data scientists, and decision makers to tackle data challenges and gain novel insights
- Mentor and coach other engineers on data engineering best practices
- Be technical leader within the team you work with and across Storytel in general
- 5+ years of professional experience as a Data Engineer or Software Engineer, with hands-on coding experience in Python/Scala and SQL
- Several years of experience in design and architecture of scalable and reliable complex systems
- Strong background in data pipelining, distributed data processing, software engineering components, and data modeling concepts
- Experience with cloud infrastructure (Azure, AWS, GCP) and cloud data warehousing, preferably BigQuery or equivalent.
- Experience with designing and developing pipelines and data integration solutions using ELT tools such as dbt™
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code and remote configuration tools
- Experience in operating, maintaining and ensuring quality of production grade software
- Experience in data privacy and sensitive data management
- You have strong communication skills to partner with stakeholders effectively
- You have an innovative mindset and are always striving for improvements, making sure that each workday is value driven, collaborative and rewarding.
- You embrace knowledge sharing and have an eagerness to continuously learn and develop yourself and team
Bonus if you have:
- Experience with implementing data integrations with GCP and/or product analytics or customer data platforms
- Experience with event-tracking pipelines and solutions
What we offer
At Storytel we trust our employees and believe in their autonomy. We offer flexible working hours, remote working possibilities when possible and flexible public holidays for people to celebrate what they truly believe in.
Storytel’s culture encourages self-leadership, innovation, collaboration – and our employees share a common passion for high-quality content and stories. There is a strong emphasis on continuous development, learning through experimentation and actively sharing feedback to constantly improve performance.
Storytel offers a friendly, entrepreneurial and fast-moving work environment where new ideas and creativity are welcomed. We like doing things in new ways and questioning old methods. The Storytel culture - characterized by being welcoming and helpful - is important to us. We don’t believe in hierarchy and micromanagement; we highly believe in giving responsibility and having people grow alongside it. And of course - you get unlimited listening to audio and ebooks from our service!
Does this sound like you? If you feel like Storytel is a place where you could thrive, please submit your application in English and we will contact you as soon as possible.