At Storytel, we believe that powerful stories add an extra dimension to life. Storytel is one of the world's leading audiobook and ebook streaming services, and we offer unlimited listening to consumers in 27+ markets. Our vision is to make the world more empathetic with great stories to be shared and enjoyed by anyone, anywhere, anytime.
About the Team
The Content Platform is the backbone of Storytel: ingesting and processing all content from publishers to the platform, enriching it with metadata, and building systems to discover and organise knowledge about creators and content. We also present this data through several services and standardised APIs for consumption by teams at Storytel, like the teams creating our apps and our Storytel Reader.
We are currently on a journey to refactor our architecture and modernise our platform and services.
About the Role
Take the next step in your career as a Senior Backend Engineer at Storytel! You will work with cutting-edge technologies alongside both experienced and junior colleagues. As a senior backend engineer, you will be involved in - and be asked to lead some of - our modernisation journey, but also the maintenance of the existing platform. Your skills and experience will also be valuable in supporting and coaching more junior engineers.
To be successful in this role, we believe that:
- You have a solid knowledge of backend development in Java and/or .NET/C#, and, ideally, the experience of more polyglot environments - today, we maintain services in mostly Java or C#, but even some in Golang and Kotlin.
- You have a great understanding of modern architecture, system design, data structures, and software engineering principles, and you understand how to apply them to design scalable and robust solutions.
- You are comfortable deploying and operating services in a cloud environment (we use Google’s Cloud Platform, but experience from other platforms is just as valuable).
- You have the ability to nurture others and help them improve alongside you.
- You have experience working closely with business and product stakeholders and understanding their needs - and you can go from the idea stage to scalable and maintainable solutions.
- You are passionate about building great products that people love, and you always make technological choices with this end goal in mind.
- You believe in iteration and know that finding the right solution is more important than being quick about it.
- You may have some experience with front-end development (React)
But most importantly, we believe that the right mindset and attitude are more valuable than ticking all the technical boxes, so if you feel that this could be the right job and environment for you to learn in and develop yourself alongside others in the team, do not hesitate to get in touch with us!
What we offer
At Storytel, we trust our employees and believe in their autonomy. We offer flexible working hours, remote working possibilities, and flexible public holidays for people to celebrate what they genuinely believe in.
Storytel's culture encourages self-leadership, innovation, and collaboration – our employees are passionate about high-quality content and stories. There is a strong emphasis on continuous development, learning through experimentation, and actively sharing feedback to constantly improve performance.
Storytel offers a friendly, entrepreneurial and fast-moving work environment where new ideas and creativity are welcomed. We like doing things in new ways and questioning old methods. The Storytel culture is vital to us, characterised by being welcoming and helpful. We don't believe in hierarchy and micromanagement; we highly believe in giving responsibility and having people grow alongside it. We have a solid compensation & benefits package offering, and, of course - you get unlimited listening to audio and ebooks from our service!
If you feel like Storytel is a place where you could thrive, please submit your application in English, and we will contact you as soon as possible.