Storytel is one of the world’s leading audiobook and ebook streaming services. At Storytel we believe that powerful stories add an extra dimension to life. We offer hundreds of thousands of audiobooks and ebooks to customers in 25+ markets, with several new markets launching in the coming year. We are now looking for a Legal Counsel with a focus on Compliance and Competition/Antitrust law to join our Legal department.
Role and responsibilities
In this role you will support the entire global organisation with legal advice but have a special focus on matters related to Compliance and Competition/Antitrust law. You must therefore be ready and able to assist not only with hands-on advice such as drafting/reviewing and negotiating agreements, processes, and guidelines but also to provide strategic legal guidance regarding e.g. new services or our expansion- and communication plans.
The role will also include handling Storytel’s communication and contact with relevant local regulatory/supervisory authorities, hence the role will require a broad understanding of the international aspects of compliance. As part of the legal team, led by the General Counsel, you will also encounter many other fields of law and should be comfortable in investigating and advising in areas of law outside your main area of expertise.
- Swedish LL.M (Jur. kand./Juristexamen) or international equivalent such as J.D. degree
- 3-5 years of law firm and/or in-house corporate lawyer experience with main focus on compliance matters (such as e.g ESG matters, anti bribery and corruption legislation and/or trade sanction regulations) and on competition/antitrust legislation
- Strong English language skills (both written and spoken) at business standard
- Excellent analytical skills
- Ability to demonstrate sound judgment in stressful and/or ambiguous situations
To thrive in this role, we believe that you have the ability to manage multiple projects at once and to follow through and meet deadlines. You also have strong interpersonal skills and a genuine team-player mindset. In addition, you are able to work independently within cross-functional teams. Strong business judgment, ability to think strategically and to give hands-on practical advice constitute basic requirements. And of course – a genuine interest in both the the streaming/tech business.
Additional merits of particular interest
- Experience from an international (multi jurisdictional) legal environment
- Experience from working hands on with competition law from within a national competition authority or the European commission
- Experience from working with multi jurisdictional compliance programmes
- Experience from working within the tech industry and especially other streaming services or other services provided through apps or online
- Strong Swedish language skills at business standard
What we can offer
Storytel offers a friendly, entrepreneurial and fast-moving work environment where new ideas and creativity is welcomed. We like doing things in new ways and questioning old truths. The Storytel culture – characterised by being welcoming and helpful – is important to us. We don’t believe in hierarchy and micromanagement, but we highly believe in giving responsibility and having people grow with it. And we always find time for “fika” (the Swedish word for sitting down and having a cup of coffee together).